FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post (paid) links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that was recommended. See full Disclosure and Disclaimer here.
Pomegranates are all the rage these days! They’re considered to be the ‘ultimate fruit’ for beautiful skin and are now being added to a variety of skincare products. They also work to naturally rejuvenate, replenish and repair the skin in many ways you may (or may not) be aware of. Right now, you may be wondering to yourself, ‘are pomegranates good for whitening and or lightening the skin?’
Yes, pomegranates are rich in nutrients and antioxidants help nourish, lighten, whiten and brighten the skin as well as reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This fruit when taken internally and or applied topically also helps improve your complexion by evening out skin tone and diminishing the look of dark spots and discoloration. This makes skin look smoother, firmer and younger.
Now that you know pomegranates help to improve the look of skin, let’s explore this topic in more detail below. We’ll explain how and why they work as well as discuss which other fruits help whiten, lighten and brighten your complexion. We’ll even outline some recipes of pomegranate masks and smoothies you can make easily and affordably at home as well as include a few examples of a few store-bought products you can try.
So, if you’re ready to learn more about using pomegranates to improve your complexion, then let’s get started!
Why is Pomegranate Good for the Skin?
Pomegranates are currently considered to be the one of the best fruits for promoting healthy, beautiful skin! These ‘superfoods’ contain antioxidants that fight free damage and encourage the regeneration of healthy skin cells. The high concentrations of vitamins C, E and K nourish the skin while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improving its overall tone and texture.
Does Pomegranate Lighten Skin?
Pomegranates help lighten skin. Drinking at least 1 glass per day will make your skin glow with health! It’ll also promote a fair skin tone and improve its overall texture. You can also apply pomegranates topically to your face in mask form to help whiten the skin. For more information, please see below under the subheading entitled: How Can I Make a Pomegranate Mask?
How Does Pomegranate Lighten Skin?
Pomegranates contain anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help lighten and brighten skin. They also contain vitamins C, E and K which ‘feed’ the skin and improve its ability to renew itself. Dark spots and discoloration are diminished when taken internally (in juice form) or applied topically (in mask form).
A great way to reap the full skin toning benefits of this superfruit is to blend it with other natural ingredients and then apply it directly to your face. Massaging pomegranate oil into the skin twice a day or mashing the fruit and using it as a mask will provide the best results.
How Can I Make a Pomegranate Mask?
Making your own homemade pomegranate mask is easy – all you need are a few simple and inexpensive ingredients. Most are items you likely already have on-hand in your fridge or pantry. A great one to try for both lightening and brightening the skin is all-natural and includes the following:
Skin Brightening Pomegranate Mask
- 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 6 to 8 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 4 drops of lavender oil
- a handful of pomegranate seeds
Begin by grinding the pomegranate seeds to make a paste. Add the yogurt, honey, lemon juice and lavender oil to the paste and blend together with a spoon. Apply to clean skin carefully, avoiding the delicate eye and lip areas. Leave on for 15 minutes and then rinse off with tepid water. Pat dry gently with a clean, soft towel.
Just a word of caution. Before applying oils or any homemade skin formulas, it is important to perform a patch test on your skin. Even if you have never had a prior history of any skin irritation issues you may find that concentrations and different mixtures may cause slight irritation like rashes, swelling, itching, or even burning. To learn how to perform a patch test on your skin CLICK HERE
For further skin-whitening benefits, apply a thin layer of pomegranate oil or serum to the skin and let it penetrate completely. Follow with a moisturizing cream specifically designed for your skin type, if necessary.
If a convenient, ready-made mask is your preference, then why not try Aveeno Nourishing Oat Mask with Pomegranate Seed Extract. Its paraben-free, phthalate-free, allergy-tested and non-comedogenic. The rich, velvety texture hydrates and nourishes the skin so it appears brighter and healthier. Available online at Amazon.com, check it out today!
Which Fruit is Best for Skin Whitening?
Without a doubt, pomegranates are one of the best fruits for lightening and brightening the skin. Others that contain natural acids or astringents also work to slough off the top layer of skin, making it appear whiter. The best examples of these types of skin-enhancing fruits (which work even better if they’re ingested daily, like pomegranates) include the following:
- Pineapples – this tropical fruit is rich in vitamin C and bromelain, an enzyme that helps lighten dark spots and sweep away dead skin cells. It also works to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while leaving the skin bright and glowing!
- Lemons – this citrus fruit is also rich in vitamin C and ascorbic acid, a natural antioxidant that helps stop free radical damage which can cause dark spots and skin discoloration. When taken internally or applied topically, lemons not only lighten but also brighten the skin.
- Tomatoes – this ‘vegetable’ fruit too is rich in vitamin C and contains natural bleaching agents that act like an astringent to clarify and whiten the skin. When ingested or applied to the skin, tomatoes help even skin tone and lighten dark spots.
- Apples – this fruit contains vitamin C and malic acid, which not only works to whiten and brighten the skin but also helps it appear firmer and younger. The high fiber content in apples helps remove toxins from the body that can cause acne and other chronic skin conditions.
- Strawberries – this berry fruit is again rich in vitamin C and alpha hydroxy acid (also known as salicylic acid), which aids in lightening and brightening the skin from within! The natural antioxidants present in strawberries helps reduce the appearance of acne, wrinkles and dark spots.
Which Juice is Good for Skin Whitening?
Pomegranate juice is one of the best for skin whitening. When absorbed by the skin, pomegranates help increase collagen production. As we age, our bodies naturally produce less collagen, which is a vital component of soft, smooth, young-looking skin.
Other fruit juices also work to lighten and brighten the skin. Orange, apple, mango, papaya, watermelon, grape, lemon, and tomato are all great examples. For the ultimate skin beautifying smoothie, why not try the following healthy and delicious recipe:
Skin Lightening Fruit Smoothie
- ¼ cup of pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ½ cup of frozen strawberries
- ½ cup of pineapple chunks
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of plain or Greek yogurt
Combine all ingredients in a mixer and blend until smooth. If you find the mixture to be too thick, add a bit more pomegranate juice and then blend again. Pour into a large glass and serve cold. Store any remaining liquid in the fridge. Drink daily, preferably in the morning, for lighter, brighter skin!
What Foods Help Whiten Skin?
Apart from pomegranates and the other fruits mentioned above, specific foods (when taken internally or applied topically) can help lighten, whiten and brighten the skin naturally. Often referred to as ‘superfoods’, these edibles contain nutrients that are vital not only to the appearance of the skin but to its overall health as well. The best examples 6include the following:
- Carrots – Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a natural antioxidant that helps whiten the skin. Sipping on carrot juice or applying a carrot mask are both easy, inexpensive ways to repair and rejuvenate your skin.
- Potatoes – potato juice, when applied directly to the skin, helps clear dark spots and blemishes while naturally lightening skin tone. Simply cut a slice off and massage it gently over the face. Leave the juice on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off thoroughly with tepid water.
- Pumpkins – pumpkins are rich in vitamins A, C and E (as well as antioxidants) that reduce the appearance of dark spots and help prevent wrinkles. The zinc and potassium found naturally in this ‘superfood’ help reduce skin redness and discoloration.
- Chocolate – chocolate contains natural polyphenols and flavonoids. These antioxidants work to help whiten and brighten the skin. So, go ahead, indulge your cravings and enjoy a few squares of dark chocolate every day!
- Soybeans – Soybeans are a true ‘superfood’ that helps prevent premature aging of the skin while improving its overall tone and texture. Enjoying a glass of soybean milk every day or simply adding some tofu to your next meal will work wonders for your complexion.
What Should I Drink to Become Fair?
Juicing is a wonderful way to reap the skincare benefits of many fruits and vegetables. A combination of specific liquids and other ‘superfoods’ blended in smoothie form is a healthy and delicious way to get white, bright, glowing skin! A great drink to try at home in the morning, chock-full of nutrients and flavor, includes the following recipe:
- ½ cup of carrot juice
- ½ cup of pomegranate juice
- ½ cup of coconut water
- ½ cup or kefir
- 1 cup of kale
- ½ cup of frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon of matcha powder
Using a high-speed blender, mix the kefir, juices, coconut water and kale together well. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into a large glass and serve cold. If you prefer a thicker smoothie, add in one frozen banana and substitute the ½ cup of kefir for plain or Greek yogurt. This recipe should easily make 2 or more cups, so feel free to enjoy it alone or with a friend!
How Can I Lighten My Face Naturally?
Apart from drinking pomegranate juice or applying it directly to the skin, there are other ways to naturally lighten and brighten the skin. By reducing the amount of melanin in the skin, these at-home treatments work to reduce hyperpigmentation and even out skin complexion. A few examples to consider include the following:
- Honey – honey can help lighten the skin, especially if the discoloration is caused by skin dryness. Honey is humectant-rich and works wonders on scars and blemishes as well. Choose Manuka honey, if possible, as it’s especially effective in treating common skin conditions.
- Aloe Vera – aloe vera is great for lightening and brightening the skin due to its cooling, soothing properties. The anti-inflammatory agents found naturally in the gel help repair damaged skin tissue. Aloin, an active ingredient in the aloe vera plant, helps promote melanin aggregation.
- Cucumbers – cucumbers are rich in vitamins A and C which help alleviate skin irritation and inflammation. The antioxidant extracts found naturally in this vegetable inhibit melanin synthesis as well as sebum secretion, lessening the look of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Oatmeal – oatmealworks to naturally exfoliate the skin, sloughing off dead skin cells that can lead to discoloration. Simply applying cooked oatmeal to the skin once it’s cooled down, leaving it on for 15 minutes and then rinsing it off with lukewarm water will work wonders for the skin!
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a type of ginger spice that inhibits melanin production in the skin. It helps refine skin tone and texture while improving its overall health and appearance. Curcumin is the active ingredient in this spice that works to effectively lighten and brighten the skin.
What is the Best Pomegranate Product for the Face?
The best pomegranate-based product for the skin is one that’s certified organic, cold-pressed and all-natural. A great example is Mayan’s Secret Pomegranate Oil which you can find online at Amazon. This amazing product contains 100% pure pomegranate seed oil and nothing else! It’s naturally rich in vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids which not only nourish but lighten and brighten the skin.
You can find a great selection of pomegranate oils that are readily available online at Amazon.com. So, go online and check it out today. Best of all, this product can be delivered right to your front door. Trust me, your skin will thank you for it beautiful, bright skin is just a click away!
Another great product to consider and also available online. It’s a product by
CYNTHIA ROWLAND at Rejenuve Inc that lightens and brightens your skin and the name of the product is Wise Women Choice and It contains three dynamic treatments:
- Vitamin C Serum. The serum is a topical treatment that lightens and brightens your skin with Cell Renewal Vitamin C Serum.
- Retinol. Retinol is designed for nighttime wear. This is a potent age-defying treatment for your skin. It increased firmness and visibly reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
- Eye Cream Eye Cream can be used at nighttime and also daytime.
Go check out Wise Womens Choice at CYNTHIA ROWLAND
In summation, pomegranates are rich in essential nutrients and antioxidants, which work to effectively lighten and brighten the skin. They help reduce redness, hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration while diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This ‘superfood’ also helps improve your skin’s overall tone and texture, making it look softer, smoother and younger.
Juicing is a great way to reap the skin-whitening benefits of pomegranates. Blending the seeds with other ‘superfoods’ into smoothie form work internally to nourish the skin so it glows with vibrancy and health. As well, using pomegranates topically in mask form help to lighten and brighten the skin. This fruit, when combined with other natural skin-whitening ingredients, improve both its tone and texture.
Hopefully, you’ve found this article to be both interesting and informative. Thanks for reading. Cheers to beautiful skin!