FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post (paid) links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that was recommended.
You’ve probably come across Clinique makeup or skincare at least once while window shopping at your nearby mall. You may have even wondered if it was worth the money to try them out. A lot of their products claim to help people with acne-prone skin, aging, or sun-damaged skin. But, is Clinique a good brand?
Clinique is a great brand because of the top-quality ingredients they use, the variety of options, their results, and the desire to treat everyone as an individual. Clinique has been around for 50 years and has been perfecting its products with help from dermatologists.
So, now you know they are a good brand, but should you invest in them? They can be a bit pricey, especially if you get a skincare regimen with three or more products bundled together. Plus, the price tag may be hard to stomach over time when you need to buy replacements for those products. Read further to find out if Clinique is right for you.
Clinique is a skincare company that started with the idea of one dermatologist. Dr. Norman Orentreich believed that everyone could have good skin. It was just a matter of having the right products and routine. That was when Clinique was born. Its background in dermatology is one of the reasons Clinique is a great brand.
It started in 1968 and was one of the first companies that had a dermatologist backing up the rationale behind its products. Clinique wanted you to have a powerful product that could clear out dirt and damage, but be gentle enough to care for the new skin underneath. These are what make their skincare products one of the best on the market.
Clinique was also one of the first companies to offer a variety of products for various skin conditions. Other companies during that time offered the same lotions, cleansers, and soaps for any and all skin types. Clinique was different.
They created different regimens and products for each kind of skin type and situation. They also pushed the idea that everyone was an individual, and the same product to help with sun damage was not going to help the acne-prone. They even had different kinds of skin regimens that differed based on how much or little damage your skin actually had or wanted to be corrected.
Clinique strives to give its clients a one-on-one approach to make everyone feel like an individual. This idea is another reason why the brand is great. They were also one of the first companies to offer “gifts” with their product purchases to entice their customers to buy more
They stress this in their campaign slogans that have kept customers coming since they began. They offer a variety of campaigns that not only entice customers but match the common trends of the times to reach people of all interests and ages.
One example of their campaign is the listing of the ingredients in their products. One of their biggest campaigns is not using products that will irritate or cause allergic reactions to their clientele. They are free of fragrance, phthalates, and parabens that are common irritates found in their competitor products.
Another example of their campaign strategy is adhering to all ages. You have seen products and commercials for their products that target specific types of people. Their acne products are targeted to the young men and women, while the anti-aging and sun damage products are geared towards older individuals. They strive to make everyone happy.
Lastly, Clinique keeps up with the current trends in social media and around the world. Currently, they are pushing their marketing on social media platforms with pro-gay and pro-feminine messages to let their customers know that they support them. They do this by hiring advocates to be in their commercials or write their social media posts.
Products and Prices
So, what does Clinique offer? They have a variety of skincare, makeup, and fragrance options to fit everyone’s needs. This variety is yet another reason why Clinique is a good brand.
Clinique offers products such as moisturizers, cleansers, and serums for different skin types. Their products vary based on your skin type. Some are for oily skin, while others cater to dryer skin. Clinique has employed skincare specialists at their booths to help you find out what kind of skin you have and better assist you in finding what works for you.
Some of their best-sellers are:
- Dramatically Different Moisturizer which you can find online at Amazon.
- Take The Day Off Make-up remover also online at Amazon.
- Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream at Amazon.
Check out these links to see how much they are and read Amazon reviews of the products.
Clinique does not only work on your skin, but it can also help amplify it as well. They offer makeup that promotes the health of your skin rather than clog it up like other makeup brands may do. Similar to their skincare lines, their makeup also adheres to your skin type. Some are made for oily skin types to tone down the oil, while those made for dry skin help hydrate and nourish the skin.
The Clinique specialist that helps you with your skincare products can also help you with makeup choices. Some may even have makeup artist experience and put the makeup on for you while teaching you how to apply them when you make a makeup purchase in the store.
Some of their best-sellers are online are:
- Even Better Makeup with Spectrum 15 you can get it at Amazon.
- True Bronze check it out at Amazon.
- Super Universal Face Primer check this out at Amazon.
Check out the links above to see prices and reviews on how these makeup products hold up!
While the skincare and makeup products don’t have any fragrance to them, Clinique offers fragrances that you can use for scents that you do want to smell. They offer a wide range to cater to every kind of fragrance lover. Whether you like fruity smells or flowery ones, Clinique has them for your convenience.
Again, the specialist working with you can also offer their help in picking a fragrance that fits your personal taste. They offer tester bottles and can even spritz some on your wrists to wear along with the makeup they did for you.
Some of the most popular at Amazon are:
Open the links above to see prices as well as reviews from customers who have bought it before.
Clinique doesn’t just adhere to women. Men have increasingly become invested in their skincare and appearance. The company is aware of that, and created lines of products that work well on men’s faces. Again, utilizing the idea that everyone’s skin is different and that they want to treat the individual rather than a “one solution fits all” approach.
They offer products to help skin damage, but also offer products to help with shaving or condition beards. These options not only help men but are created by dermatologists that study skin, rather than over the counter brands that may not take skin into the equation.
Some of their best-selling products for men at Amazon are
So, if you are out with a man also looking for skincare, bring them with you to Clinique to get a consultation!
Why Are Cliniques Products So Expensive?
If you’ve been opening up the links above, you’ve probably noticed that a lot of the products are pretty expensive. So, what makes them cost so much? Are they worth the money? Here are a few reasons:
What’s in Them
One of the first reasons why Clinique products are so expensive is the ingredients they use. They use various oils like Sesame or Mineral that helps keep moisture in and dirt out of your skin. As well as Petrolatum, which helps clean the skin. These ingredients, depending on how much is used versus diluted can up the price of the product.
Check out all the ingredients used in Clinique products here. This website also goes into detail on what all the ingredients do for your skin.
The Clinique name holds some weight in the skincare industry. Most people have heard the brand name before, and can easily picture one or more products they may have seen in commercials or used themselves. This allows the company to charge more for their products compared to generic brands which are cheaper but don’t have the same recognition.
Formulating The Products
Formulation of the various skincare products takes precision and money. The people creating these products need to know how the ingredients will interact with one another to get the best result. The pH level will also affect different ingredients, which will either help or do nothing for your skin.
Given that Clinique has so many different lines made for different skin types and treatment plans, they most likely have extensive amounts of teams working on perfecting these products. These people don’t work for free, and the process can be lengthy. This will also drive up the price of their products so that they can still make a profit.
Clinique has received good reviews for many of its products on its own website and websites such as Amazon. Not to mention, Clinique is frequently promoted by magazines and beauty websites.
This entices interest in consumers who are more likely to trust well-reviewed products than poorly reviewed ones. Even if the cost is significantly more.
This has allowed Clinique to charge more for their products since they are guaranteed to still make sales on returning customers and new customers who trust testimonials that they hear about or see. Since the products are very good, you can make a safe bet on them working for you!
What Do the Reviews Say?
If you’re like me, your first thought about products is what the reviews say about it. I like to shop online because I can find reviews and read them first before risking any money. Of course, the salespeople at any store will say their products work and are the best on the market. So it’s harder to know if what they say is actually true or not.
So, let’s look at some reviews for products that Clinique sells:
- Most reviews are positive for the best-selling products, such as Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel or the 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator. These reviews were summarized from various Amazon and Sephora reviews online.
- Other positive reviews referenced how much better Clinique products worked in comparison to their competitors or other products the consumer tried before going to Clinique. Customers showed before/after photos or pictures of the product size to help others know exactly what they are buying.
- Any negative reviews dealt with how the products affected the consumer’s skin. Many complained of more acne or dryness due to sensitive skin. A positive in reading online reviews is that you can hear warnings like this and decide if it will be right for you.
- Some negative reviews also referenced how little a product changed a consumer’s skin. An example is Clinique’s Pep-Start Eye cream, which had some negative reviews from people who wanted more of a result from the cream than they got.
- Another trend I came across was finding Clinique products for “cheap” on other websites besides Clinique
- I read some reviews for a cheaper Dramatically Different Moisturizer Gel that many people complained about was a fake! They said it didn’t work as well as it had when they bought it in-store. There was even a woman who broke out into hives after using the “cheaper” version.
How to Save On Clinique Products
Even though we just reviewed why Clinique is so expensive, don’t be scared away by the price tag on their products. There are ways you can save money while shopping for Clinique products. You’ve heard that they are good, and have widespread success. It may make you want to try it out for yourself to get the benefit from one or many of their products.
Here are some ways you can save money on Clinique products:
- Ask for free samples at the store: The Clinique technician will try to entice you into buying all the products that they use with you, but stay strong! Ask for sample sizes that you can use at home for a couple of weeks to see how you like it first before investing a lot of money into it.
- Free gift perk: Usually Clinique will offer to throw in a free gift if you spend more a certain amount of money on their products. It can be a makeup bag, tote, or travel bag filled with trial-sized samples of different products. They may even stick one of the products you trialed with them, such as eyeliner or lipstick, which will save you money.
- Shop online: If you’re a returning shopper who knows what products you need, skip the store! You won’t be roped into buying new products you don’t need by the chatty technician, and you’ll even be rewarded for shopping online. They offer free gifts and mini bottles of products you already bought as extra goodies. Plus, free shipping!
- Daily Offers: If you shop online, Clinique has started a Daily Offer you can use while you shop. They can be free goodies, coupons, or discount codes you can use to save yourself a bit of cash. You can also use this on top of free shipping, which is a win-win for online shoppers!
- More is More: Many of the Clinique products can be bundled together to get you extra savings, rather than paying for each product individually. Bigger bottles also give you more ounces per dollar you spend on it. They will also last you longer, so if you love a certain product that you know works for you, it’s better to invest more money on the bigger size than the smaller one.
- Travel Containers: If you are in the store, talk to your technician about travel size options. They can provide you with free travel containers. One with a product you like, along with empty ones you can fill with your other favorites. This will save you money on buying travel size products when you travel on top of the bottles you already bought.
- Sign up: Sign up for Clinique’s reward program for 15% off your first purchase as well as other events, coupons, and discounts they can notify you about in the future. Plus, you can sign up for cash back apps such as Rakuten (Ebates) which can reimburse you for shopping at Clinique! It may not seem like much, but it’s nice to get money for purchases you would have made anyway.
These are just some of the ways you can save while shopping at Clinique. There are probably more out there, which will help you afford to try out Clinique or continue shopping at the store for your favorite products.
Clinique is a well-known brand that produces products for people of all ages and genders. They have strived to be the best since they opened in 1968, and continue to remain one of the largest cosmetic companies still operating today. Their dermatology background separated them from their competitors and continues to keep them in business today.
Due to their fame and use of pricey ingredients, their products can be a bit costly. However, various coupons, offers, and free gifts can help absorb some of that cost. Not to mention, their praising reviews from celebrities and people alike that prove their products are worth the investment.
All in all, Clinique is a good brand of quality products to help anyone with their skincare needs.