FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post (paid) links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that was recommended. See full Disclosure and Disclaimer here.
Suntanned skin is a coveted look by many people in North America. In fact, we will often pay good money at tanning salons to sustain this look year-round! However, unlike the Western world, most people in Easter countries are not fond of tanned skin, seeking ways to prevent and even eliminate it. Right now, you may be wondering to yourself, ‘how can I restore my natural skin color?’
So how do you restore natural skin color? There many ways to restore skin color. Whether it be a fading tan, a sunburn, acne scars, dark spots, discoloration or hyperpigmentation, you can safely and effectively bring your skin back to its original shade using common household items most people keep on-hand in their fridge or pantries.
Now that you know there are natural, safe ways to restore skin tone, let’s take a look at this concept in more detail below. We will discuss how to get your natural skin color back, how long it takes to restore natural skin color, how to prevent skin from getting darker and what to eat to get fair skin fast.
So, if you’re ready to learn all you need to know about restoring your skin to its natural beauty, then there is an E-book that tells you how. Check it out by CLICKING HERE!
How Do I Get My Natural Skin Color Back?
To restore the original skin tone, it is best to choose natural remedies that are safe, effective and affordable. These include the following:
Fresh Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has bleaching properties that help restore natural skin tone. Not only does it combat unwanted tan lines or dark spots, but it also helps exfoliate dead surface skin cells, paving the way for new cells to grow. Simply apply some lemon juice to the affected skin areas (avoiding sensitive areas such as the eyes and lips), let it dry and then wash it off with warm water.
For even better results, add some sugar to the lemon juice and gently massage the mixture over your skin before rinsing thoroughly with warm and then cool water. Sugar is an excellent natural exfoliator and will boost the skin lightening effects of the lemon juice. For best results, do this up to three times a week, in the evening and follow with an all-natural nighttime moisturizer.
Just a word of caution. Before applying oils or any homemade skin formulas, it is important to perform a patch test on your skin. Even if you have never had a prior history of any skin irritation issues you may find that concentrations and different mixtures may cause slight irritation like rashes, swelling, itching or even burning. To learn how to perform a patch test on your skin CLICK HERE
Curd or Yogurt
Curd or yogurt is an excellent way to restore natural skin color safely and effectively. Yogurt provides a cooling effect on the skin that soothes redness (often associated with over-exposure to the sun) while tightening the pores. It also helps loosen dust and debris that gets trapped in the pores causing skin tone to appear uneven.
Apply some plain yogurt or curd to your skin daily before bathing or showering. For even better results, add some lime juice to the yogurt. Tomato juice added to curd will also improve its skin lightening benefits. Alternate between the two mixtures twice a week to see results quickly and effectively. Remember to avoid the eye and lip areas as lime and tomato juice are highly acidic.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is well-known for its natural antioxidant effects. After prolonged use, it has been proven to lighten and brighten the skin. It is best to use fresh aloe vera gel, right from the plant, if possible. If not, be sure to choose one that is clear, all-natural and cold-pressed. Avoid using aloe vera gel that is green-colored as this means the product contains artificial dyes.
Simply apply the gel to your skin every evening before you go to bed and then wash it off thoroughly the following morning. Within one week you should see visible results, including a reduction in dark spots and improved overall skin tone. Not only does aloe vera help to reduce hyperpigmentation but it also cleanses and nourishes the skin, keeping it supple and healthy.
Cucumber juice is rich in vitamin C, which works wonders on the skin when applied topically. It provides a cooling, soothing effect that reduces redness and inflammation. It also helps eliminate dark spots and unwanted suntan. Cucumber juice has an added moisturizing benefit that hydrates and nourishes the skin naturally. A study has shown that cucumber has therapeutic value for the skin.
For best results, mix 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice with 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Then, add a pinch of turmeric powder to the liquid and blend completely. Apply the mixture to the affected skin area and allow it to sit for 30 minutes before washing off with soap and warm water. If time is of the essence, simply cut-off a slice of a cucumber and rub it directly onto the skin.
Tomato juice contains natural bleaching agents that reduce the appearance of dark spots and discoloration while evening out skin tone and texture. It also helps to tighten and shrink large pores, leaving skin looking smooth and bright with a healthy glow.
Simply mix 2 tablespoons of tomato juice with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Blend the 3 ingredients together well and apply the mixture to the affected skin area. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes until dry and then rinse thoroughly with cool water. Or, cut off a piece of fresh tomato and rub the juice gently into your skin. Tomatoes have an antioxidant known as Lycopene which has the ability to defend against skin aging to keep skin youthful.
Gram flour or besan is a pulse flour that is made from finely ground chickpeas and commonly used in East Indian cuisine. When applied to tanned or darkened skin, it helps to restore natural skin tone safely and effectively.
Mix the flour with water and apply it to the affected area. Wait for approximately 20 minutes and then wash it off. You can also mix it with yogurt or curd to boost its lightening effects. Do this up to twice a week for a month and you should see visible results.
Other helpful tips for restoring and maintaining natural skin tone include the following:
- Exfoliate regularly with a gentle scrub (see above for a natural version using sugar and lemon juice).
- Moisturize well with an all-natural cream that is free of mineral oil, sulfates, siloxanes, parabens, phthalates, perfumes, and dyes.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C daily, which include citrus fruits, leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- Use a sunscreen (with a minimum SPF 30) every day – rain or shine, summer or winter.
- Use a skin brightening mask, if you have uneven skin tone (see above for natural treatment made with yogurt and gram flour).
- Get a facial done at your salon every month, if possible. They often include steam treatment to open and deep-clean the pores, exfoliation to remove dead surface skin and promote cellular turnover and moisturizer application to nourish and soften the skin.
Does the Sun Make Your Skin Permanently Darker?
A suntan is not permanent, as your skin naturally and continuously sheds the outer most layer of dead cells. Skin will gradually get lighter and return to its original color if there is no additional exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet rays. So, stay indoors, sit in the shade and wear hats, light clothing and sunscreen whenever possible.
How Can You Make Your Skin Lighter?
To make skin lighter or restore it to its natural color after prolonged time in the sun, follow these 8 simple steps:
- Use SPF 30 (or greater) sunscreen every day. Choose one that provides broad-spectrum protection and is water-resistant. Apply it liberally to all exposed skin areas at least 20 minutes before heading outdoors.
- Limit your exposure to UV light and stay indoors between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when the sun’s rays are strongest and most damaging. Wear protective clothing such as lightweight long-sleeved shirts, cotton pants, hats and sunglasses whenever possible.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly to slough away dead cells. This allows new, healthy cells to surface, revealing brighter, younger-looking skin while restoring natural skin tone. Be sure to exfoliate gently as exfoliating too vigorously can irritate the skin, causing inflammation and redness.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water (6-8 glasses per day), natural fruit juices and herbal teas. These liquids help the skin rejuvenate faster, restoring natural skin tone while keeping it supple and healthy-looking.
- Exercise regularly to increase blood flow. This helps carry oxygen to skin cells, nourishing them, removing free radicals that cause hyperpigmentation and restoring a natural, healthy glow.
- Visit your dermatologist for a chemical peel or microdermabrasion treatment. This professional procedure works to revive natural skin tone by removing the outermost layers of the epidermis, revealing lighter, brighter and more youthful-looking skin underneath.
- Use natural skin lighteners such as lemon, cucumber, and tomato juice. These liquids safely and effectively restore natural skin color and are easily accessible and cost-effective. See above subheading entitled How Do I Get My Natural Skin Color Back for more information)
- Stop smoking, if you haven’t already for health reasons. Smoking causes fine lines and wrinkles over time, as well as makes the skin look dull and discolored, casting an almost grayish hue. This is the result of a lack of blood flow to the skin. By quitting smoking, your skin will gradually return to its natural shade.
How Long Does It Take for Skin to Return to Its Natural Color?
The amount of time it takes for skin to return to its natural shade depends on what actions you take. If you stay out of the sun, exfoliate regularly, eat well, stay hydrated and use natural skin lighteners, you could see results in as little as 1 to 2 weeks. Otherwise, it could take anywhere from 4 to 6 months for skin color to return naturally on its own.
What Should I Eat to Get Fair Skin Fast?
Eating properly can help restore suntanned skin to its naturally fair shade. Fresh fruit, leafy greens, dark orange, and red vegetables, fish, whole grains, nuts (such as almonds) and seeds (such as sunflower) all aid in the restoration and rejuvenation of the skin. See below for more information under the subheading: Which is the Best Fruit for Skin Brightening? And don’t forget to drink lots of liquids throughout the day to stay well-hydrated.
Which is the Best Fruit for Skin Lightening?
Fresh fruit contains powerful natural antioxidants that are vital for skin health and renewal. The 10 best examples include the following:
- Pomegranates – works wonders to increase blood flow and detoxify the skin
- Bananas – contains amino acids that improve elasticity and skin tone
- Watermelons – contains natural astringents to revitalize and restore skin
- Papayas – helps reduce hyperpigmentation and even out skin tone
- Kiwi – contains omega-3 fatty acids which defend the skin against free radical damage
- Oranges – rich in vitamin C – increases collagen production to improve skin tone and texture
- Apples – works to brighten and lighten the skin – provides protection against tanning
- Strawberries – effective at lightening acne scars and reducing skin redness from blemishes
- Pineapples – contains natural enzymes that help reduce dark spots and skin discoloration
- Lemons – rich in ascorbic acid – a natural antioxidant that revitalizes and restores skin tone
What is the Best Natural Skin Lightening Product?
A great product to consider, available online at Amazon.com is Evagloss Skin Lightening Serum Dark Spot Corrector. It is a convenient and effective way to fade dark spots and acne scars as well as improve uneven skin tone and texture. It contains kojic acid (a natural by-product of fermenting malted rice) that reduces skin discoloration associated with hyperpigmentation.
Some other good products that are getting good reviews over at Amazon are:
Another great product to consider and also available online and it’s a product by CYNTHIA ROWLAND at Rejenuve Inc that lightens and brightens your skin and the name of the product is Wise Women Choice and It contains three dynamic treatments:
- Contains a Vitamin C Serum. The serum is a topical treatment that lightens and brightens your skin with Cell Renewal Vitamin C Serum.
- Contains a bottle of Retinol. Retinol is designed for nighttime wear. This is a potent age-defying treatment for your skin. It increased firmness and visibly reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
- Contains a bottle of Eye Cream. Eye Cream can be used at nighttime and also daytime.
How Do You Know What Your True Skin Color Is?
Your true skin color is based on the undertones present, which is different from your complexion. Complexion can be light, medium or dark whereas undertones are described as cool, warm or neutral. Determining what your natural skin tone can be done in 5 ways, which include the following:
Look at Your Veins
Find a natural light source, such as a sunlit window, and examine the veins on the inside of your wrist. If your veins appear blue or purple, then you have a cool skin tone. If they look green, you have a warm skin tone. If you can’t tell what if they look blue or green, you likely have a neutral skin tone.
Consider How Your Skin Reacts to the Sun
The amount of melanin in the skin determines how it reacts to sunlight. If you burn easily and tan slowly, then you have less melanin signifying a cool skin tone. If you tan easily and seldom burn, you have more melanin and possess a warm skin tone. If you tan slowly and rarely burn, you likely have a neutral skin tone.
Try the Paper Test
Hold a piece of white paper up to your skin and see how it looks next to it in a mirror. If your skin appears pinkish, then you have a cool skin tone. If your skin looks yellowish, you have a warm skin tone. If you appear grayish, you likely have a neutral skin tone.
Put on Jewelry
Use two pieces of jewelry, one white gold, and one yellow gold. If the white gold piece makes your skin glow, then you have a cool skin tone. If the yellow gold piece looks better on your skin, you likely have a warm skin tone. If both pieces look flattering and you can’t see a difference, then you have a neutral skin tone.
Look at Your Eye and Natural Hair Color
Eye and hair color can be a key indicator of your undertones. Lighter eyes like blue, gray and pale green with blonde, light brown or black hair often coincide with a cool skin tone. Brown, hazel or green eyes with flecks of gold and red, dark brown or black hair usually indicate a warm skin tone. Neutral skin tones can possess any number of eye and hair color combinations.
In conclusion, there many natural ways to restore skin color. Using household items commonly found in your fridge or pantry, it is easy to safely and effectively bring back your original skin tone. These items are easily affordable and readily available at your local grocery or health food store as well as online through retailers and at Amazon.com.
Whether you are trying to rid yourself an unwanted tan, unsightly tan lines, a sunburn, acne scars, dark spots or hyperpigmentation, it is possible with time, patience and a little know-how (provided by the information in this article) to get back the naturally beautiful skin you were born with.