FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post (paid) links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that was recommended. See full Disclosure and Disclaimer here.
Loose skin is a very frustrating part of life. If you have suffered from loose or sagging skin, you know firsthand how much it can impact your self-esteem and body image. There are many ways that you can develop loose skin, and it can very difficult to reverse once you have it. Luckily, there are some answers.
How you can prevent sagging skin and reverse its effects, the natural way. Some proven, natural ways that can help individuals reduce and avoid sagging skin are:
- Exercise and gradual weight loss
- Quality Diet and supplements
- Firming products and oils
- Lifestyle changes
Loose or sagging skin can be caused by weight loss, pregnancy, or simple aging. Many who experience sagging skin see its effects starting on the stomach, face, neck, buttocks, arms, legs, and more. While stopping loose skin is nearly impossible, there are some ways that you can reduce your chances of experiencing it and tighten skin that may already be seeing the effects.
What Causes Sagging Skin?
Before we further discuss how to avoid sagging skin or even reverse it, you should know more about what causes it. While it can be very disheartening, it is safe to say that almost everyone will experience loose skin during their lifetime, especially as they age.
Unfortunately, sagging skin often shows first on the face through wrinkles. Some of the biggest reasons that you may experience loose or saggy skin during your lifetime are:
- Aging – Over time, the collagen synthesis in your skin will become slower, which leads to lowered elasticity and sagging. The connective tissue found in your skin can weaken with age, and this can also lead to looseness. The fat within your body is usually more evenly distributed while you are younger, but this can lose volume and form clumps over time and begin to sag.
- Excessive Exposure to the Sun – Sunlight can damage the skin by attacking the collagen and elastin, which can cause them to unravel and lead to saggy skin. Other lifestyle factors like smoking, pollution, and more can also increase the onset of wrinkles.
- Rapidly Gaining or Losing Weight / Pregnancy – Both the skin on your face and body can be greatly affected by your weight. Sudden weight loss or gain can lead to stretched or sagging skin. Many see issues with loose skin after pregnancy and even more so with multiple pregnancies.
While saggy skin can be an issue that everyone faces, you can always do your best to avoid loose skin or reduce your chances of dealing with it.
Though there are procedures that you can have completed that can help with this quickly, they are not natural, affordable, and can even be unsafe. Instead, there are several ways that you can reverse or avoid saggy skin naturally.
Add Regular Exercise to Your Routine
A combination of quality diet and this style of exercise can help improve your skin elasticity and reverse sagging skin. Building your muscle mass through weight training and other exercises can help decrease any loose skin that you may have and improve your chances of avoiding loose skin.
If you have lost weight, been through a pregnancy, or are in the process of losing weight, exercise is extremely important. Rapid weight loss or gain are two of the biggest factors that come with having loose skin on the body.
The best way to lower loose skin through exercise is to use a combination of resistance training and aerobic exercise. You should always consult your doctor before starting any new exercises or if you have any questions about your abilities or restrictions after pregnancy.
Of course, a huge benefit of exercise is that it is completely natural and does not require you to spend any money. You simply wan to do exercises that are effective enough to train your muscles and increase tone, this can be done by adding weights, bands, or other resistance tools. Some simple exercises that you can add to your routine that can improve your loose skin or avoid it during weight loss are:
- Prone and side planks
- Hanging leg lifts
- Core presses
Improve Your Diet and Add Collagen-Rich Foods
Going hand in hand with exercise, you should eat a nutrient-rich diet that is healthy and beneficial to your body. The natural benefits achieved through quality diet are far better for you than the expensive supplements and serums you will find on the market today.
Diet is one of the core ways to increase your body’s elasticity and give yourself youthful skin easily and cheaply.
While you should always stick to a healthy diet, adding foods that contain vitamin C, vitamin E, antioxidants that increase collagen, etc. can help the elasticity of your skin. Just some of the many foods that you can add to your diet to naturally stimulate collagen and increase skin elasticity are:
- Kiwi – contains a high level of vitamin C which is great for skin
- Blueberries – known for being antioxidant-rich and also very high in vitamin C
- Carrots – high in vitamin A which is known for restoring collagen in damaged skin
- Lemons – a low in sugar fruit that is full of vitamin C, which enhances collagen. Great for adding to water and herbal tea
- Apple – full of fiber and vitamin C, an easy snack to increase elasticity
- Papaya – a top fruit for skin enhancement, a natural and plant-based alternative to chemical exfoliants
- Berries – full of antioxidants to help reverse aging through oxidative damage
- Dark Leafy Greens – contain tons of vitamin A, E, and C. Top choices are kale, broccoli, and spinach. Many also contain chlorophyll, enzymes, and phytonutrients that improve skin
- Bone Broth – not for vegetarians, but bone broth is full of collagen which can leave the skin soft and resilient to aging
Further Enhance Diet with Supplements
Even those who are extremely picky can increase their health internally through natural supplements. Supplements are a great way to increase your skin’s elasticity even if you are not the best at eating healthy or even dislike some of the previously mentioned foods.
While a natural diet is always best, there are some natural supplements available that can be used to increase your overall skin condition.
Some top supplements that can improve the elasticity in your skin, reducing the risks of sagging or reversing signs, are:
- Protein supplements – Amino acids that are found in protein like lysine and proline are essential for building your body’s collagen production.
- Vitamin C – It is necessary for your body to have vitamin C for it to synthesize collagen. Increased vitamin C ensures collagen can be synthesized properly.
- Collagen hydrolysate – Collagen is key for healthy, tight skin and gives you a more youthful appearance. Supplementing with collagen can reduce the negative effects of aging on the skin.
- Gelatin – If you like to avoid animal products, gelatin is not for you. It is actually cooked animal collagen and is found in sweet favorites like gummies and Jell-O. Gelatin is a great source of glycine, which is a building block for collagen production.
Apply Firming Creams or Products Daily
You will find firming creams and products that state they can truly work miracles, which is often not the case. However, there are natural creams out there that can increase the appearance of your skin and have been proven to do so.
The biggest problem most you may run into when purchasing or using these creams is that they are often very expensive for the results that you will see.
There are some great skincare products out there that you can trust and can be worth the money, but you should use a lot of discretion when choosing them. One thing you will want to look for in the products is retinoid and of course collagen.
Aiming for products that have limited ingredients that you can identify is the best way to ensure you are using a more natural and safer product. One of the best ways to increase your skin’s elasticity and avoid overpaying is to use natural products on your skin.
In fact, you can use most oils or mixtures of natural ingredients to create face masks and decrease skin sagging. Some of the best natural oils, foods, and other ingredients you can use to improve skin elasticity are:
Grapeseed oil is the byproduct of winemaking and is made from the seeds that are left after grapes are pressed. For natural skin care use, cold-pressed oil is the absolute best. Cold-pressed options contain only the oil itself and no chemical alterations. Grapeseed oil has:
- Fatty acids that can improve the skin’s moisture level
- Vitamin E that replenishes lipids
Some who have used the oil regularly have noticed a reduction in inflammation through the linoleic acid found inside along with the anti-inflammatory properties. Fatty acids found in grapeseed oil contain polyphenols that help fight premature aging and result in firmer-looking skin.
To get the best effects from grapeseed oil, you should apply it regularly to the face and skin. It can be applied directly to the skin, or you can add it to a moisturizer or cream. With regular use, you should see an improvement in the skin’s moisture level and overall elasticity.
Coconut oil is an easy ingredient to find at almost any grocery or health store, but the best to use for skincare benefits is virgin coconut oil.
You will use the virgin coconut oil to massage in an upward circular motion to any skin that is showing signs of sagging. You should massage for five to ten minutes and for best results leave on the skin overnight.
You can really use coconut oil as much as you would like, but some even do the process daily. Coconut oil can penetrate the layers of the skin and rejuvenate your underlying skin cells. One of the biggest benefits is that it deeply moisturizes the skin, keeping it hydrated and nourished.
This should be done in more of a face or body mask consistency. Here is how you make the mask:
- Use a tablespoon of rosemary oil and about half of a cucumber
- Peel and grind up the cucumber into as smooth of a liquid as possible,
- Mixing in the rosemary oil, until you have a paste-like consistency
- Apply this mixture to your face or affected body areas.
- Leave the mask on for fifteen to twenty minutes and then rinse well.
It is recommended to use this mask once every few days as a special skin treatment. Rosemary oil is considered an essential oil and is great for improving your blood circulation, which can tone your loose skin.
Also, the antioxidants present enhanced the production of your fibroblasts, which improves skin elasticity. The carnosol and squalene present can slow down the aging process.
Mustard oil can be used by being massaged into the skin before the shower to tighten skin and bring out a glow.
- Warm about ½ cup of mustard oil until it is lukewarm but still comfortable on the skin.
- Before hopping in the shower, massage any areas in which you are hoping to prevent loose skin or reverse signs of loose skin.
- While massaging, try to use an upward motion and massage for about five minutes.
- You can actually cover your entire body with the oil if desired
- Wash off as usual in the shower.
You can use this mustard oil massage every few days as you would like. The oil will tighten your skin and enhance your skin’s glow with routine usage. The skin will be rejuvenated, and you can increase blood circulation with the massage. Also, the oil has a high level of vitamin E which has been shown to prevent aging and wrinkling.
If you have sensitive skin or have experienced issues from similar oils in the past, mustard oil is one substance that can cause skin inflammation in some users. It is recommended that you do a patch test before massaging the oil into your skin.
Using avocado oil, you can massage it into any loose areas you are experiencing in an upward motion for about fifteen minutes. Unlike the previously mentioned oil, you should leave the avocado oil on for about an hour before washing it off.
You can actually do this process daily as the oil is great for your skin and doesn’t pose as many reaction risks as others. Benefits of avocado oil usage on the skin include:
- Avocado oil is highly moisturizing and can penetrate deeply into your skin.
- It boosts collagen synthesis and has been shown to improve firmness drastically over time.
- Also, the oil contains high levels of vitamins B, E, and A.
There are also many amazing tightening face masks that use avocado that can be beneficial as well.
Almond oil is another great massage oil that you can use on your body for twenty minutes prior to taking a shower. You can do this every day, or every other day as wanted. Like many of the other oils mentioned, almond oil is high in vitamin E.
Using almond oil daily on your skin can improve moisture and visibly reduce skin sagging.
To use this technique, you will want to purchase fish oil capsules and then puncture the capsules to apply the oil inside to your skin. You can massage the oil for a couple of minutes to areas that need special attention. If you would like, you can leave your oil overnight or simply wash it away after an hour. If wanted, you can ingest the fish oil capsules as needed to get added benefits.
Many use fish oil every day before going to bed to improve the quality of their skin. Fish oil contains fatty acids that nourish and hydrate your skin. Massaging the oil enhanced your blood circulation and impacts the cell renewal capacity. Though it may seem self-explanatory, it is important to remember that you should not use this oil if you are allergic to fish or fish products.
Virgin Olive Oil
Another very easy ingredient to come by that you can find at almost any grocery store. Extra virgin olive oil is the absolute best choice, but virgin olive oil of any kind is ideal for regular usage. You should pat your skin dry after a shower then massage the oil all over your body for a few minutes.
Some even use olive oil daily instead of body lotion due to its many beneficial properties. This is the best way to seal in moisture and keep skin glowing. While moisturizing, the oil’s rich antioxidants and vitamin E can tighten your skin.
For this method, you will need quality primrose oil which you can use a few drops of on your fingertips to massage into your face and neck. Always use an upward motion while massaging, which we will further discuss the importance of later. Continue your massage for five to seven minutes then leave on overnight.
Primrose oil can be left on overnight for maximum results, and many do this massage each night before bed. Primrose contains gamma-linolenic acid or GLA that is shown to aid in collagen synthesis. Through routine use, you can see a reduction in fine lines, sagging skin, and wrinkles.
You can add argan oil to your body lotion or use it by itself to massage into your skin in areas that are showing signs of sagging. You can leave the oil on your skin throughout the day as you would normal lotion, rinsing it off in the shower. Adding argan oil to your lotion can be used daily in your moisturizing routine or as needed.
Argan oil is extremely nourishing and gives the skin more elasticity which can increase firmness. Many have tested and shown positive effects of using the oil regularly and have seen reduced signs of aging.
Vitamin E Oil
You have probably noticed that many of these oils are known for possessing vitamin E and are highly beneficial because of this. If you want to increase your levels of vitamin E, going straight to the source is key. You can purchase vitamin E capsules which you will then pierce and can use the oil present inside.
Massage the oil into your skin for ten or fifteen minutes then leave it on overnight. Many use the oil every night before going to bed to see longer-lasting results. Vitamin E is essential for your skin and adding it daily can improve glow and firmness drastically. Plus, the oil contains antioxidants that prevent the skin from free radical damage and improve appearance.
The Importance of Routine Massage
As you read above, massage is commonly encouraged when it comes to reducing sagging or loose skin. While massage itself is a great way to relax and unwind, doing so in the areas where you are noticing a decrease in elasticity can help fight these signs of aging. A research has shown that Massaging your loose skin can increase blood flow to the area and evoke this anti-aging response.
Many dermatologists have analyzed the effects of skin massage along with anti-aging products. While it is probably not ideal to use all of the oils and products mentioned above, choosing a few you love and want to add to your routine along with massage is a great option. Here are some tips for incorporating massage into your skincare routine:
- Always use upward motions when massaging your skin. Essentially, sagging skin is drooping and going lower than you would like to see. This is why you should use upward motions, as they increase blood flow in a positive direction.
- Use an oscillating massage tool to amplify the effects of these massage techniques.
- Add a salt or sugar scrub to drive blood flow to the area even more. Doing this not only increases blood flow but is a great way to exfoliate the area before adding one of the highly beneficial oils we previously discussed.
Make Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Further Sagging
As discussed, eating healthy and routine exercise are one of the best ways to avoid loose skin and unwanted sagging. You should eat a vitamin-rich diet, do regular tightening exercise, and use skin tightening natural products.
However, there are probably things you are doing daily that can be contributing to your sagging skin that could easily be avoided.
Exposing your skin to the sun without protection is one of the leading signs of premature aging and sagging of the skin. Extended sun exposure can significantly reduce the natural collagen and elastin concentrated in the skin. Sun-damaged skin accumulates elastotic materials that replaced natural collagen found in the skin.
- Entirely avoiding the sun is clearly not possible, but you should never prolong exposure.
- While a day at the beach is a fun getaway, make sure to use regular shade.
- Always avoid artificial sun, like tanning beds, which can lead to even further damage and even worse results like cancer.
- When you are in the sun, you should try to use protective clothing and hats.
- Always wear sunscreen, even under makeup and other skincare products.
The main defense against unwanted skin damage and sagging due to sun exposure is by using a quality SPF or sunscreen. Make sure that you massage the sunscreen into your face, neck, chest, hands, and any other areas that may be exposed the sun during your day out.
Stop Smoking, Alcohol, and Drug Use
Smoking is one of the biggest causes of premature aging that can easily be avoided. The nicotine found in cigarettes causes your blood vessels to narrow in the outermost layers of your skin. This impaired blood flow to your skin means it does not get enough oxygen or nutrients.
While stopping smoking now may not reverse past damage, it will stop further damage from happening. You should also consider lowering or stopping alcohol use and stopping drug usage. Alcohol can significantly dehydrate skin, which can lead to unwanted sagging and can be hard to reverse.
The Negatives of Botox
In today’s world, there are new procedures released regularly and promoted as “anti-aging.” Such procedures promise to easily and quickly reduce wrinkles and sagging skin. One of the most commonly used substances to avoid early signs of sagging skin in the face and neck is Botox. While it is becoming more widely used, the substance is actually very toxic and should be avoided.
Botox is made from botulinum toxin which is produced by Clostridium botulinum. This is a chemical found in contaminated canned foods. The toxin itself damages nerves and lead to paralysis or even death. This is the same substance that is found in Botox and is now being injected into the bodies of individuals everywhere for superficial reasons.
While many have had no negative effects from Botox, this is not always the case, and there are several negative side effects that you can experience, such as:
- Uneven smiles
- Droopy eyelids
- Facial muscle malfunctions
- Allergic reactions
- Unwanted facial results
Some experts have found that Botox is actually leading to more sagging in the skin than you would find with natural aging or the use of natural products. When Botox is injected it is freezing the muscles and can cause muscles to become weaker.
Botox can wear off over time, leaving you with damaged facial muscles that droop more than you would have experienced without the unwanted toxins. It is better to stick to natural products, a healthy lifestyle, and regular massage than risk the negative results caused by Botox.
There are so many natural ways to prevent or reduce the appearance of sagging skin. With some care to your diet, exercise routine and skincare regimen, you can be on your way to healthier, younger-looking skin!