FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post (paid) links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that was recommended. See full Disclosure and Disclaimer here.
From going to bed with a full face of makeup to leaving the house without wearing sunscreen, we’re all guilty of neglecting our skin, especially in our younger years. But if you want your skin to be as youthful in your older years as it was in your twenties, you need to begin good skincare practices early.
So, what are some good habits to keep skin looking excellent? You don’t have to spend a fortune on expensive products to get healthy, glowing skin. The following simple methods will keep your skin looking good at all times:
- Healthy hydration
- Proper diet
- Establish a morning and nighttime skincare routines
- Get quality sleep
- Avoid centralized air conditioning
- Steam often
- Exfoliate regularly
- Resist the urge to pop pimples
- Keep your hair out of your face
Contrary to what manufacturers in the beauty industry want you to believe, it’s possible to achieve healthy-looking skin without spending a fortune on beauty products. In this article, we’re going to look at some of the natural ways you can change the appearance of your skin.
Top 10 Good Habits to Keep Skin Looking Excellent
Your face is the first thing people see when they’re talking to you. Therefore, you need to make sure your skin is always in tip-top condition. We’ve gathered ten healthy skincare tips to help you get started. The best part is that you won’t have to buy any expensive products or pay for pricey spa treatments.
As you’ll see, getting flawless skin is as simple as tweaking some of your daily habits.
1. Healthy Hydration
You’ve probably heard it a million times – water is the elixir of life and the answer to achieving a healthy glow on your skin. But we tend to ignore this fact most of the time. Most people drink less water than is recommended, and their skin suffers in the process.
Your body is continuously using water for physiological processes and losing it through sweat and even during urination. As a result, if you’re not taking in enough water, some of the physiological processes may be affected.
According to “What Happens to Your Body When You Stop Drinking Water,” when you don’t drink enough water, you can become bloated, start developing wrinkles, or worse, it can lead to kidney failure among other problems.
But how exactly does drinking more water improve your skin?
- Water is a natural anti-aging agent.
If you want to prevent premature wrinkles and enjoy a youthful appearance for a long time, water is the answer. “6 Beauty Benefits of Drinking Water” explains that drinking an adequate amount of water every day will give you soft, fresh, and glowing skin.
According to the article, water hydrates and replenishes the skin tissues, thereby increasing the skin’s elasticity. As a result, it delays signs of aging, such as fine lines, wrinkles, and dark circles.
- Water is a natural detoxifier.
Water also keeps your skin looking good by flushing out the toxins in your body and helping in the transportation of nutrients to this organ of the body.
- Water gives you a natural glow.
The body contains about 60% of water, which is essential for not only blood circulation but also the proper functioning of other parts of the body. With the right amount of water intake, every process in your body will go on effectively, and it will reflect as a natural glow on your skin. So, drink up!
2. Proper Diet
It doesn’t matter if you use the Korean 10-step skincare routine or invest in the most expensive products from top brands. If your diet is not right, no amount of beauty products will fix the appearance of your skin.
Some of the foods that can wreak havoc on your skin include sweets, alcohol, greasy foods, and dairy products. Elite Daily reports that some of these foods have been linked to acne, pimples, and other skin problems.
If you want to keep your skin looking good, dermatologists recommend eating more leafy vegetables, foods rich in antioxidants, whole grains, and fruits. It may also help to find out which foods you’re allergic to and cut them out of your diet to prevent rashes and other skin problems.
3. Establish Morning and Nighttime Skincare Routines
When it comes to skincare, simple is always best. You don’t want to be layering one product on top of another on your skin every day because it can easily lead to clogged pores. According to Chrissy Callahan, the best skincare routine for morning and night is as follows:
- Cleansing: Look for a natural cleanser that’s made up of all-natural ingredients. These tend to be soothing for the skin and are less likely to cause allergic reactions. The Simplified Skin Vitamin C Cleanser is an excellent product. It’s organic, and it’s packed with ingredients like avocado oil, cucumber, and aloe vera, among other things.
- Protection: You should never leave the house without protecting the skin with sunscreen. One of the best products you can use is the AlbaBotanica Soothing Sunscreen. This sunscreen is SPF 45, lightweight, fast-absorbing, and has a light fragrance. Not to mention, it’s made with amazing natural ingredients like tea tree, Vitamin E, and grape seed oil.
- Moisturizing: Finish off by lathering some moisturizer on your skin. You can use natural moisturizers such as coconut oil, olive oil, or Vitamin C serum. Find what works for you.
- Cleansing: If you wear makeup during the day, you should have thorough cleansing processes before you go to bed to remove all the gunk and dirt. Coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and witch hazel are excellent natural makeup removers. Follow up this step with a deep cleansing cleanser like this Vitamin C Facial Cleanser, which is not only organic but is also anti-aging!
- Protection: At night, you need to protect your skin with a nourishing serum such as retinol or antioxidant serum. Serums help protect your skin from dullness and do an excellent job of delaying signs of aging. SOCO Botanicals Face Oil Serum is a fantastic serum that is made with a variety of anti-aging essential oils such as rosehip and neroli.
- Moisturizing: Finish off by moisturizing your skin to restore some of the moisture you lost during the day and keep the skin elastic.
It will take some consistency for you to start seeing noticeable changes on your skin. For this reason, you need to ensure you’re keeping up with your skincare routine every day.
4. Get Quality Sleep
Sleep should also be your best friend if you want to achieve flawless skin. When you’re sleep-deprived, the body produces cortisol, which can lead to increased stress and inflammation on the body.
Not to mention, increased stress hormones make skin conditions like acne and psoriasis worse. Lack of sleep also leads to hydration imbalances in the body, which in turn causes puffy eyes or bags under the eyes. Also, evidence indicates that poor quality sleeping habits increases signs of aging.
- Keep electronics and other distractions out of your bedroom.
- Sleep on breathable cotton sheets and wash them regularly to prevent the accumulation of bacteria and dirt.
- Sleep under a warm blanket and ensure the room is quiet, dark, and cool.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day and avoid drinking too much close to bedtime.
- Don’t eat a big meal close to bedtime.
- Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
- Sleep and wakeup at the same time every day.
Working out is also beneficial for your skin. If you prefer Netflix while eating your favorite snack to running on the treadmill or doing burpees, this may be a hard pill to swallow. “8 Ways Exercise Makes You Gorgeous” explains that if you want to keep your skin looking incredible, exercise is something you may want to incorporate into your daily routine.
The skin is one of the major detoxifying agents in the body. When you push yourself to the limits during exercise, you start sweating. During this process, toxins are flushed out of the body through sweat, and nutrients and oxygen are transported to the skin, which results in the post-workout glow.
You’ll only reap the benefits of exercise for the skin if you’re taking good care of your skin. Don’t wear heavy makeup that may clog your pores to the gym or delay washing up after a workout if you have acne-prone skin. Doing this will only make your condition worse due to the dirt accumulating on your skin from the sweat.
6. Keep the Bugs Away
Sometimes, you may be doing everything in your power to keep your skin looking good, but bugs won’t let you enjoy your flawless skin. If you spend tons of time in the outdoors hiking or camping, bug bites may interfere with your progress.
Fortunately, there’s a fix. Susan Patterson suggests using essential oils to repel the bugs, such as lemongrass, peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, and tea tree. With these essential oils at hand, you shouldn’t have to worry about pesky bug bites.
7. Steam Often
Facial steaming is a great way to keep your face looking good. This DIY treatment leaves your skin feeling clean and nourished, and makes it feel luxurious. There are several benefits you get from steaming your skin regularly. These include:
How to Steam Over a Bowl
- Start by bringing 4 to 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, carefully transfer it to a bowl or sink, making sure to use a stopper to prevent the water from flowing away. If you decide to use a sink, ensure you have a high chair to sit on because you’ll have to be there for a while.
- Next, add a handful of your favorite herbs and essential oils to the water.
- Sit down, drape a towel over your head and the bowl or sink, and hold your face above the water about 6 inches away.
- To increase the amount of heat, lower your head down, being careful not to get too close to the water. To reduce the heat, move your head a little higher. And if you want to catch your breath, raise the towel a bit on the corner to cool off.
- Steam for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Steam your face once a week for the best results. You should also limit the sessions to 10 minutes to avoid irritating your skin. After each session, make sure you moisturize your skin. The skin tends to take well to products after steaming because the pores are open.
8. Exfoliate Regularly
Exfoliating your skin regularly will also change its appearance. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells and exposes a new layer of skin, thereby reducing dullness and making your skin have a glowing appearance.
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to invest in expensive exfoliating products to reap these benefits. Exfoliating your skin can be as simple as using a microfiber cloth to remove the dead skin cells. You can also opt for chemical exfoliating products such as glycolic acid and lactic acid.
These natural chemicals not only remove dull and dead skin cells but also brighten your complexion. However, The American Academy of Dermatology says that you shouldn’t overdo it when it comes to using exfoliating products.
Limit it to three times a week. If you’re doing it more than three times a week, you are overdoing it, and your skin may start getting irritated.
There are two methods of exfoliating the skin: mechanical and chemical.
Mechanical exfoliation steps:
- Using a clean exfoliating brush or your favorite scrub mixture, massage the scrub onto your face using gentle strokes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply moisturizer.
Chemical Exfoliation Steps:
- Apply a small amount of a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid or glycolic acid on your face after cleansing.
- If it’s a peel exfoliant, follow the instructions on the packaging material to peel it off. If it’s a liquid solution, let it sit for about 5 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry your face with a clean towel.
- Apply moisturizer.
9. Resist the Urge to Pop Pimples
The first thing that comes to mind when you notice a pimple on your face is to pop it. We’ve all been there. No one wants to be walking around with zits on their face drawing all kinds of bad attention. But if you want to keep your skin looking good, this is a habit you need to resist at all costs.
The satisfaction you get when you pop that pimple isn’t worth all the permanent scarring that can result from it. When you’re in your teenage years, popping a pimple isn’t a bit deal because your skin heals fast, and the scarring is barely noticeable. But things are not this easy when you start approaching your late twenties.
The scarring is more evident and more difficult to get rid of. “7 Factors That Affect Wound Healing” explains that this is because the skin gets thinner and has a slower inflammatory response when you’re older compared to your younger years.
Instead of popping your pimples, use natural acne-treatments like tea tree oil, steaming, aloe vera, and anything else that helps soothe your skin and leave the pimple to go away on its own. This way, you won’t have any scarring left after the pimples have gone away.
10. Keep Your Hair Out of Your Face
The American Academy of Dermatology also reports that one of the culprits of acne is grease and dirt settling on the skin for an extended period. Their article “Are Your Hair Care Products Causing Breakouts?” explains that if you always have your hair on your face, there’s a high chance you’ll experience breakouts on the forehead and cheeks, especially if you have oily skin.
We tend to apply many products on our hair. From moisturizers, styling products, and gels, there’s a mixture of ingredients on your hair. When your hair touches your skin, which is also lathered with other products, there can be an accumulation of oils that can cause your pores to clog. When this happens, you start breaking out more often.
To avoid this, consider styling your hair in ways that don’t leave your hair in contact with your face. If you can’t help it, minimize the products you put on your hair to prevent the accumulation of oils on your face and clean your face thoroughly as soon as you get home.
As you can see, you don’t need to spend a fortune to achieve flawless, glowing skin. Models, actresses, and experts in the beauty industry have discovered the secret to good looking skin – natural skincare — and they’ve taken advantage of it. Ditch the expensive products that are full of chemicals and switch to natural skincare practices. Your face will thank you, and so will your wallet!
However, don’t expect overnight results. Like everything else, getting flawless skin takes time and consistency. But one thing is sure. If you do the work, you will see results.